Religions for Peace is working to transform conflict, including war and terrorism, in some of the world ’s most troubled places through:
Working to prevent violent conflicts, including wars
- Promote teachings that advocate for peace through religious communities, along with peace education and peace building training.
- Engage in solidarity visits to communities that are facing conflict and violence.
Working to address the root causes of terrorism and the related misuses of religion
- Work with religious scholars and leaders to develop and promote multi-religious consensus on rejection of misuse of religion as warrant for violence against innocent people, and a credible alternative to the political “war on terror” paradigm.
- Lead a campaign to promote the basic tenets of shared security as an approach to addressing causes of terrorism.
Advancing conflict resolution
- Become a center for multi-religious reconciliation.
- Initiate confidence-building efforts and engage in mediation between and/or with religious leaders.
- Facilitate linking religious leaders with key actors in conflict and other stakeholders, including the UN and intergovernmental bodies.
- Explore cooperation that enables an outreach to those who are deemed as extremists and to reach out to them to engage in peace and moderation.
Acting to eliminate proliferation of weapons and to promote disarmament
- Develop and promote a policy calling for a radical realigning of the centrality of weapons in a search for shared security.
- Lead advocacy and education against nuclear and other weapons of mass destruction.
- Make available materials for use for the religious communities and networks.